How to Enroll In a Nursing Program near Savoonga Alaska
Choosing the best nursing program near Savoonga AK may seem like a formidable endeavor, especially if you aren’t sure what to search for in a good degree program. As you may presently understand, to practice as a registered nurse, you need to acquire the necessary education and training to become licensed. So it is vitally important that you research and determine the qualifications of each college you are contemplating before enrolling in your ultimate choice. The fact is, too many prospective students base their determination exclusively on the cost of tuition and the distance of the school. Picking the least expensive program or the one that is local to your house is probably not the most ideal way to decide on a nursing program. There are a number of essential additional factors to explore before you decide where to attend classes. But before we explore that checklist, let’s first review what the job of a registered nurse is in our medical care system, along with the nursing degree alternatives that are offered.
Registered Nurse Job Activities
Registered nurses are the largest occupation in the medical care delivery system. RNs practice in a large number of different medical settings, including Savoonga AK hospitals, family practices, outpatient clinics, nursing homes and even schools. Their general role is to assist doctors in the treatment of their patients. Having said that, the exact duties of a registered nurse will depend on their job or area of expertise as well as where they work. A few of the duties of an RN may include:
- Administering medications
- Monitoring patients
- Performing physical examinations
- Coordinating care
- Managing LPNs, LVNs and nurse aides
- Educating patients and their families
- Managing health records and charts
Nurses with a higher degree may have more complex job duties and responsibilities. Nurse practitioners (NP), as an example, must hold a Master’s Degree and commonly work more independently than their RN counterparts. They can deliver primary or specialty care services, prescribe medications, and diagnose and treat common illnesses or injuries.
Nursing Degrees Available
There is more than one degree option available to become a registered nurse. And to become an RN, a student must attend an accredited school and program. A student can earn a qualifying degree in just two years, or advance to earn a graduate degree for a total of 6 years. Following are some short summaries of the nursing degrees that are offered in the Savoonga AK area.
- Associates. The Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) is generally a two year program offered by community colleges. It prepares graduates for an entry level position in nursing in healthcare facilities including hospitals, clinics or nursing homes. Many use the ADN as an entry into nursing and ultimately earn a more advanced degree.
- Bachelor’s. The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) provides more extensive training than the ADN. It is typically a four year program offered at colleges and universities. Licensed RNs may be eligible to complete an accelerated program based on their previous training or degree and professional experience (RN to BSN). Those applying to the program might desire to progress to a clinical or administrative position, or be more competitive in the employment market.
- Master’s. The Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) is usually a two year program after achieving the BSN. The MSN program provides specialization training, for example to become a nurse practitioner or focus on administration, management or teaching.
Once a graduating student has attained one of the above degrees, she or he must pass the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN) in order to become licensed. Other requirements for licensing vary from state to state, so be sure to get in touch with the Alaska board of nursing for any state requirements.
LPN and LVN Programs
There are basically two academic accreditations available that provide instruction to become either an LPN or an LVN. The one that may be completed in the shortest amount of time, generally about 1 year, is the certificate or diploma program. The next choice is to earn a Practical Nursing Associate Degree. These programs are more comprehensive in nature than the diploma option and normally require 2 years to complete. The advantage of Associate Degrees, aside from supplying a higher credential and more in-depth training, are that they provide more transferable credit toward a Bachelor’s Degree in nursing. No matter the type of credential you pursue, it should be Alaska approved and accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or any other national accrediting organization. The NLNAC attests that the course of study effectively prepares students to become Practical Nurses, and that most graduates pass the 50 state required NCLEX-PN licensing exam.
Unlike some other licensed nurses, certified nursing assistants do not have to attain a college degree. CNA education can be obtained at Savoonga AK area community colleges or at vocational or trade schools. The length of the training program can take anywhere from 1 to three months, leading to either a certificate or a diploma. Within the 1987 Nursing Home Reform Act, students are required to obtain at least 75 hours of training, 16 of which must be clinical or “hands-on” training hours. Bear in mind that this is the minimal amount of training mandated and that every state has its specific requirements. So it’s essential to make certain that the course you enroll in not only satisfies the federal requirements, but additionally those for Alaska or the state where you will be practicing. One tip is to check with the health or nursing board for your state to make certain that the training is state certified. Along with the training, each state requires a passing score on a competency test for certification. Depending on the state, there can be other prerequisites as well.
Nursing Online Programs
Attending nursing programs online is emerging as a more preferred way to get instruction and attain a nursing degree. Many schools will require attending on campus for part of the training, and nearly all programs require a specified amount of clinical rotation hours carried out in a local healthcare facility. But since the rest of the training may be accessed online, this alternative may be a more convenient solution to finding the time to attend college for many Savoonga AK students. Pertaining to tuition, some online degree programs are less costly than other on campus alternatives. Even additional expenses such as for commuting and study materials may be lessened, helping to make education more affordable. And many online programs are accredited by organizations such as the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) for BSN and MSN degrees. And so if your job and family responsibilities have left you with limited time to work toward your academic goals, perhaps an online nursing program will make it easier to fit a degree into your active schedule.
Questions to Ask Nursing Colleges
Now that you have chosen which nursing program to enroll in, and if to attend your classes on campus near Savoonga AK or on the internet, you can use the following pointers to begin narrowing down your choices. As you no doubt are aware, there are numerous nursing schools and colleges throughout Alaska and the United States. So it is important to reduce the number of schools to select from in order that you will have a manageable list. As we previously pointed out, the location of the school and the cost of tuition are most likely going to be the primary two factors that you will take into consideration. But as we also emphasized, they should not be your sole qualifiers. So prior to making your ultimate decision, use the following questions to evaluate how your pick measures up to the other schools.
- Accreditation. It’s a good idea to make sure that the degree or certificate program as well as the school is accredited by a U.S. Department of Education recognized accrediting organization. In addition to helping make sure that you get a premium education, it may assist in securing financial aid or student loans, which are oftentimes not available in Savoonga AK for non-accredited schools.
- Licensing Preparation. Licensing criteria for registered nurses are different from state to state. In all states, a passing score is required on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN) in addition to graduation from an accredited school. Many states require a certain number of clinical hours be performed, as well as the passing of additional tests. It’s important that the school you are attending not only delivers an outstanding education, but also prepares you to comply with the minimum licensing standards for Alaska or the state where you will be working.
- Reputation. Look at online rating companies to see what the assessments are for all of the schools you are considering. Ask the accrediting agencies for their reviews as well. In addition, contact the Alaska school licensing authority to determine if there are any complaints or compliance issues. Finally, you can call some Savoonga AK healthcare organizations you’re interested in working for after graduation and ask what their assessments are of the schools as well.
- Graduation and Job Placement Rates. Find out from the RN colleges you are looking at what their graduation rates are as well as how long on average it takes students to complete their programs. A low graduation rate may be an indication that students were dissatisfied with the program and dropped out. It’s also important that the schools have high job placement rates. A high rate will not only verify that the school has a favorable reputation within the Savoonga AK medical community, but that it also has the network of relationships to help students gain employment.
- Internship Programs. The best way to acquire experience as a registered nurse is to work in a clinical environment. Virtually all nursing degree programs require a specific number of clinical hours be completed. Various states have minimum clinical hour prerequisites for licensing too. Find out if the schools have a working relationship with Savoonga AK hospitals, clinics or labs and assist with the placement of students in internships.
Enrolling in a Nursing School near Savoonga AK?
Perhaps you have already made your decision to attend a Nursing Program in the greater Savoonga Alaska area. If that is the case, then the following information may prove to be both educational and useful regarding the location of your future Alma Mater.
Savoonga (Central Siberian Yupik: Sivunga) is a city in Nome Census Area, Alaska. It is located on St. Lawrence Island in the Bering Sea. As of the 2010 census, Savoonga's population was 671, up from 643 in 2000.
The local economy consists largely of subsistence hunting for walrus, seals, fish, and bowhead whales. The city calls itself the "Walrus Capital of the World". A dogsled mail service operated until 1963.
At the 2000 census, there were 643 people, 145 households, and 113 families residing in the city. The population density was 105.5 people per square mile (40.7/km²). There were 160 housing units at an average density of 26.2 per square mile (10.1/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 95.33% Native American, 4.35% White, 0.16% Asian, and 0.16% from other races.
Choose the Right Nursing College near Savoonga AK
Deciding on the right nursing degree program is probably the most critical first step to beginning a new career in the health care field. There are a number of factors that you must think about when deciding on a nursing school. These variables will be prioritized differently depending on your current career objectives, lifestyle, and economic situation. As we have pointed out in this content, it is essential that you select a nursing college and a degree program that are both accredited and have excellent reputations within the medical community. By utilizing our checklist of qualifying questions, you will be able to produce a shortlist of schools to select from so that you can make your final selection. And with the appropriate degree and training, combined with your hard work and drive to succeed, you can become a practicing nurse in Savoonga AK.
More Nursing School Locations in Alaska
Bing: Alaska nursing colleges Search results
Accredited Online Colleges in 2021 | The Center for Online ...
Online colleges are growing in popularity, but which school is right for you? We’ve researched every accredited online college in the country to find the best online degree programs. Whether you’re looking for a specific major or the most affordable programs, we’ll guide you through the process.
Alaska State Information – Symbols, Capital, Constitution ...
Alaska adopted the flag for official state use in 1959. The blue field represents the sky, the sea, and mountain lakes, as well as Alaska’s wildflowers. ... Alaska Community Colleges. Nursing Schools: Alaska. School Directory: Alaska Schools Public Schools; Private Schools; Colleges and Universities.
University of Alaska Anchorage | University of Alaska ...
Alaska’s Largest University. The University of Alaska Anchorage is the state's largest post-secondary institution. It is comprised of the Anchorage Campus located in the heart of Alaska's largest city, as well as Kenai Peninsula College, Matanuska-Susitna College, Kodiak College and Prince William Sound College, all located in some of the most beautiful places in Alaska.
UA System | University of Alaska System
A climate scientist with the University of Alaska Fairbanks has won a prestigious award for his Arctic research. John Walsh, chief scientist at UAF’s International Arctic Research Center, was the third recipient of the Mohn Prize and the first U.S. scientist to receive the award. Read Article ; UA Giving Day surpasses $1 million in annual 49 ...
Nursing Schools and Programs | NursingSchools.com
The term nursing school is broadly used to include programs taught at high schools, hospitals, adult learning centers, community colleges, junior colleges, and traditional college and universities. A large university with a successful School of Nursing or College of Nursing may offer classes in several locations, bearing the college name or ...
Associate of Science in Nursing | accelerated RN program ...
We are proud to be one of Utah’s largest and highest-performing nursing colleges, which means you can feel confident in your nursing degree. 1 No College Prerequisites Required With no prior college credit prerequisites for admission, you can start and complete your RN program faster – and quickly be on your way to starting your nursing career.
Mat-Su College, Alaska | Opportunities Start Here! | Mat ...
Mat-Su College, located in the heart of Alaska's Mat-Su Valley, is your local choice for higher education. Our scenic campus is situated on a protected 900 acre forest between Palmer and Wasilla.
Majors & Institutes – Alaska Pacific University
These programs areas: Alaska Native Governance, Alaska Rural Management, Business Administration and Management, Community Health, and Nursing. Professional Studies courses may be offered evenings, weekends, or online and tuition is based on cost per credit enrollment.
Best Colleges in Alaska | U.S. News Rankings
Looking for a college in Alaska? See a listing of Alaska colleges and universities at U.S. News Best Colleges. Admissions information, tuition, rankings and more for colleges in Alaska.
Best Online LPN-to-RN Programs 2021 | Affordable Colleges ...
Some nursing programs allow students to customize their educational experience by selecting a specialization. Learners complete a specialization by taking upper-division electives in a nursing subfield. Common specializations for bachelor's-level nursing students prepare individuals to become cardiac nurses, ER nurses, and geriatric nurses.