How to Select a Nursing College near Nuiqsut Alaska
Choosing the best nursing college near Nuiqsut AK may feel like a difficult undertaking, particularly if you have no idea what to search for in a good degree program. As you may already understand, for you to practice as a registered nurse, you must receive the proper education and training in order to become licensed. So it is essential that you research and evaluate the qualifications of each program you are contemplating before enrolling in your final selection. The fact is, too many future students base their determination solely on the price of tuition and the proximity of the school. Choosing the least costly program or the one that is closest to your home is probably not the most reliable way to pick a nursing program. There are a number of essential additional factors to look into before you decide where to attend classes. But before we explore that checklist, let’s first review what the function of a registered nurse is in our healthcare system, along with the nursing degree options that are available.
Registered Nurse Job Functions
Registered nurses are the primary occupation in the healthcare delivery system. RNs practice in numerous different medical settings, including Nuiqsut AK hospitals, private practices, outpatient clinics, nursing homes and even schools. Their primary function is to support doctors in the treatment of their patients. Having said that, the specific duties of a registered nurse will be dependent on their job or specialization in addition to where they work. A portion of the responsibilities of an RN may include:
- Providing medications
- Observing patients
- Conducting physical examinations
- Coordinating care
- Managing LPNs, LVNs and nurse aides
- Educating patients and their families
- Maintaining health records and charts
Nurses with a higher degree may have more advanced job duties and accountabilities. Nurse practitioners (NP), as an example, must hold a Master’s Degree and typically work more independently than their RN counterparts. They can deliver primary or specialty care services, prescribe medications, and diagnose and treat routine illnesses or injuries.
Nursing Degrees Available
There is more than one degree option offered to become a registered nurse. And to become an RN, a student must attend an accredited school and program. A student can obtain a qualifying degree in just 2 years, or advance to achieve a graduate degree for a total of 6 years. Following are some short descriptions of the nursing degrees that are offered in the Nuiqsut AK area.
- Associates. The Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) is generally a two year program made available by community colleges. It preps graduates for an entry level job in nursing in medical facilities including hospitals, clinics or nursing homes. Many employ the ADN as an entry into nursing and later obtain a higher degree.
- Bachelor’s. The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) supplies more extensive training than the ADN. It is generally a 4 year program offered at colleges and universities. Licensed RNs may be eligible to complete an accelerated program based on their past training or degree and professional experience (RN to BSN). Those applying to the program may desire to advance to a clinical or administrative position, or be more competitive in the job market.
- Master’s. The Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) is generally a two year program after attaining the BSN. The MSN program provides specialization training, for instance to become a nurse practitioner or focus on administration, management or teaching.
Once a graduating student has received one of the above degrees, she or he must pass the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN) in order to become licensed. Various other requirements for licensing vary from state to state, so be sure to get in touch with the Alaska board of nursing for any state requirements.
LVN and LPN Courses
There are generally two academic credentials available that provide education to become either an LPN or an LVN. The one that may be concluded in the shortest period of time, typically about one year, is the certificate or diploma course. The 2nd choice is to attain a Practical Nursing Associate Degree. These programs are more comprehensive in nature than the diploma option and generally require 2 years to complete. The benefit of Associate Degrees, along with offering a higher credential and more in-depth training, are that they provide more transferable credit toward a Bachelor’s Degree in nursing. Regardless of the kind of credential you seek, it should be Alaska approved and accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or another national accrediting organization. The NLNAC guarantees that the course of study properly prepares students to become Practical Nurses, and that the majority of graduates pass the 50 state required NCLEX-PN licensing exam.
Unlike other licensed nurses, certified nursing assistants do not have to attain a college degree. CNA instruction can be received at Nuiqsut AK area community colleges or at vocational or trade schools. The length of the instruction can take anywhere from one to three months, resulting in either a certificate or a diploma. Within the 1987 Nursing Home Reform Act, students are required to obtain at least 75 hours of instruction, 16 of which need to be clinical or “hands-on” training hours. Keep in mind that this is the minimum amount of training required and each state has its own requirements. So it’s essential to make certain that the program you enroll in not only satisfies the federal requirements, but likewise those for Alaska or the state where you will be practicing. One recommendation is to contact the health or nursing board for your state to make sure that the education is state certified. In addition to the training, each state requires a passing score on a competency test for certification. Depending on the state, there may be additional requirements as well.
Nursing Online Classes
Attending nursing colleges online is growing into a more in demand way to receive instruction and acquire a nursing degree. Certain schools will require attending on campus for part of the training, and virtually all programs call for a certain number of clinical rotation hours carried out in a local healthcare center. But since the rest of the training may be accessed online, this option may be a more accommodating solution to finding the time to attend college for some Nuiqsut AK students. Concerning tuition, a number of online degree programs are cheaper than other on campus alternatives. Even supplementary expenses such as for commuting and study materials may be minimized, helping to make education more economical. And many online programs are accredited by organizations like the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) for BSN and MSN degrees. Therefore if your job and household responsibilities have left you with limited time to pursue your academic goals, it could be that an online nursing program will make it easier to fit a degree into your hectic schedule.
What to Ask Nursing Programs
Now that you have decided on which nursing degree to pursue, and whether to attend your classes on campus near Nuiqsut AK or on the internet, you can use the following pointers to start narrowing down your options. As you no doubt realize, there are a large number of nursing schools and colleges within Alaska and the United States. So it is necessary to reduce the number of schools to choose from to ensure that you will have a manageable list. As we already mentioned, the location of the school as well as the cost of tuition are most likely going to be the first two points that you will look at. But as we also emphasized, they should not be your sole qualifiers. So prior to making your final choice, use the following questions to evaluate how your selection compares to the other programs.
- Accreditation. It’s a good idea to make sure that the degree or certificate program as well as the school is accredited by a U.S. Department of Education acknowledged accrediting agency. Besides helping verify that you obtain a premium education, it may assist in obtaining financial aid or student loans, which are frequently not offered in Nuiqsut AK for non-accredited schools.
- Licensing Preparation. Licensing prerequisites for registered nurses are different from state to state. In all states, a passing score is required on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN) as well as graduation from an accredited school. Some states require a certain number of clinical hours be performed, as well as the passing of additional tests. It’s essential that the school you are attending not only delivers an exceptional education, but also readies you to meet the minimum licensing standards for Alaska or the state where you will be working.
- Reputation. Check online rating services to see what the evaluations are for all of the schools you are considering. Ask the accrediting organizations for their reviews too. In addition, contact the Alaska school licensing authority to check out if there are any complaints or compliance issues. Finally, you can speak with some Nuiqsut AK healthcare organizations you’re interested in working for after graduation and ask what their assessments are of the schools as well.
- Graduation and Job Placement Rates. Find out from the RN programs you are looking at what their graduation rates are as well as how long on average it takes students to finish their programs. A low graduation rate may be an indication that students were dissatisfied with the program and dropped out. It’s also essential that the schools have high job placement rates. A high rate will not only confirm that the school has a good reputation within the Nuiqsut AK healthcare community, but that it also has the network of contacts to help students obtain employment.
- Internship Programs. The best way to acquire experience as a registered nurse is to work in a clinical setting. Almost all nursing degree programs require a certain number of clinical hours be completed. A number of states have minimum clinical hour prerequisites for licensing as well. Find out if the schools have associations with Nuiqsut AK hospitals, clinics or labs and help with the positioning of students in internships.
Enrolling in a Nursing School near Nuiqsut AK?
Perhaps you have already made your decision to attend a Nursing Program in the greater Nuiqsut Alaska area. If that is the case, then the following information may prove to be both educational and useful regarding the location of your future Alma Mater.
Nuiqsut is in the North Slope Borough on the Nechelik Channel, about 35 miles (56 km) from the Beaufort Sea coast. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 9.2 square miles (24 km2), all of it land. Air travel to the Nuiqsut Airport provides the only year-round access to Nuiqsut. Nuiqsut is accessible during the winter via an ice road and was featured in season four episode one of the History television channel series Ice Road Truckers, when a convoy of truckers delivered supplies to the village.
As of the census of 2000, there were 433 people, 110 households, and 90 families residing in the city. The population density was 47.0 people per square mile (18.2/km²). There were 126 housing units at an average density of 13.7 per square mile (5.3/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 10.16% White, 0.23% Black or African American, 88.22% Native American, 0.46% Asian, and 0.92% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.23% of the population.
There were 110 households out of which 54.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 42.7% were married couples living together, 22.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 17.3% were non-families. 15.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 0.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.93 and the average family size was 4.24.
Select the Right Nursing School near Nuiqsut AK
Enrolling in the right nursing degree program is probably the most crucial step to starting a new career in the medical care field. There are various factors that you must think about when picking a nursing school. These variables will be prioritized differently contingent on your existing career goals, lifestyle, and financial situation. As we have pointed out in this post, it is important that you pick a nursing school and a degree program that are each accredited and have outstanding reputations within the healthcare community. By utilizing our list of qualifying questions, you will be able to produce a shortlist of schools to select from so that you can make your final selection. And with the proper degree and training, combined with your dedication and desire to succeed, you can become a practicing RN in Nuiqsut AK.
More Nursing School Locations in Alaska
Bing: Alaska nursing colleges Search results
Accredited Online Colleges in 2021 | The Center for Online ...
Online colleges are growing in popularity, but which school is right for you? We’ve researched every accredited online college in the country to find the best online degree programs. Whether you’re looking for a specific major or the most affordable programs, we’ll guide you through the process.
Mat-Su College, Alaska | Opportunities Start Here! | Mat ...
Find the latest information about the University of Alaska's response to the evolving COVID-19 situation. ... They further learn the fundamental skills of proper handling, nutrition, and nursing care for both large and small animals. Students are introduced to clinical patient management and laboratory procedures.
15 Highest Paying Nursing Jobs in 2021 | Nurse.org
If you're considering becoming a nurse, you're likely wondering how much you can make and how you can earn the highest salary as a nurse. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), Registered nurses earn a median annual salary of $73,300 as of 2019.But that's just an average across all specialties, with some of the highest paying nursing careers paying over $180K annually!
Best Colleges in Alaska | U.S. News Rankings
Looking for a college in Alaska? See a listing of Alaska colleges and universities at U.S. News Best Colleges. Admissions information, tuition, rankings and more for colleges in Alaska.
UA System | University of Alaska System
The University of Alaska is a land-, sea- and space-grant system of higher education established in 1917. The UA system's three universities (UAA, UAF and UAS) are separately accredited institutions with campuses and extended learning centers across the state of Alaska.
Majors & Institutes – Alaska Pacific University
These programs areas: Alaska Native Governance, Alaska Rural Management, Business Administration and Management, Community Health, and Nursing. Professional Studies courses may be offered evenings, weekends, or online and tuition is based on cost per credit enrollment.
State of Alaska
Please find updates at the State of Alaska COVID-19 Information Website. www.coronavirus.alaska.gov. Need assistance making your COVID-19 vaccine appointment? Call the COVID-19 Vaccine Helpline at 1-907-646-3322. Toll-free: 1-833-4-VAXLINE (1-833-482-9546)
2021-2022 Academic Catalog < University of Alaska Anchorage
Nursing (NURS) Nursing Science (NS) Nursing Science Graduate (NSG) Occupational Safety & Health (OSH) Paramedical Technology (PMED) Petroleum Technology (PETR) Pharmacy Technology (PHAR) Philosophy (PHIL) Physical Ed & Recreation (PER) Physical Therapist Assistant (PTA) Physics (PHYS) Political Science (PS) Preparatory English (PRPE)
Alaska State Information – Symbols, Capital, Constitution ...
The blue field represents the sky, the sea, and mountain lakes, as well as Alaska's wildflowers. Emblazoned on the flag are eight gold stars: seven in the constellation Ursa Major, or the Big Dipper. The eighth being the North Star, representing the northern most state. Alaska adopted the flag for official state use in 1959.
| Nursing - Ameritech College of Healthcare
We are proud to be one of Utah’s largest and highest-performing nursing colleges, which means you can feel confident in your nursing degree. 1 No College Prerequisites Required With no prior college credit prerequisites for admission, you can start and complete your RN program faster – and quickly be on your way to starting your nursing career.