How to Pick a Nursing Program near Alexander City Alabama
Searching for the right nursing program near Alexander City AL may feel like a difficult project, particularly if you have no idea what to search for in a good degree program. As you may presently know, in order to practice as a registered nurse, you must obtain the proper education and training in order to become licensed. So it is essential that you study and measure the qualifications of each school you are thinking about before enrolling in your ultimate selection. The fact is, too many potential students base their selection entirely on the cost of tuition and the nearness of the school. Deciding on the least expensive school or the one that is closest to your home is no doubt not the best way to choose a nursing program. There are a number of key additional considerations to investigate before you decide where to attend classes. But before we examine that checklist, let’s first discuss what the job of a registered nurse is in our healthcare system, as well as the nursing degree options that are available.
Registered Nurse Job Functions
Registered nurses are the most extensive occupation in the medical delivery system. RNs practice in a large number of different medical environments, such as Alexander City AL hospitals, private practices, outpatient clinics, nursing homes and even schools. Their general function is to help doctors in the care of their patients. Having said that, the specific duties of a registered nurse will be dependent on their job or specialization in addition to where they work. A portion of the functions of an RN may include:
- Providing medications
- Monitoring patients
- Conducting physical examinations
- Managing care
- Overseeing LPNs, LVNs and nurse aides
- Instructing patients and their families
- Managing health records and charts
Nurses with a higher degree may have more advanced job duties and accountabilities. Nurse practitioners (NP), as an example, must hold a Master’s Degree and typically work more independently than their RN counterparts. They can provide primary or specialty care services, prescribe medications, and diagnose and treat basic illnesses or injuries.
Nursing Degrees Available
There are multiple degrees to choose from to become a registered nurse. And to become an RN, a student must attend an accredited school and program. A student can acquire a qualifying degree in as little as two years, or continue on to obtain a graduate degree for a total of 6 years. Following are some short summaries of the nursing degrees that are available in the Alexander City AL area.
- Associates. The Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) is typically a 2 year program made available by community colleges. It readies graduates for an entry level job in nursing in medical centers including hospitals, clinics or nursing homes. Many employ the ADN as an entry into nursing and subsequently attain a more advanced degree.
- Bachelor’s. The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) offers more expansive training than the ADN. It is normally a 4 year program offered at colleges and universities. Licensed RNs may be allowed to complete an accelerated program based on their past training or degree and professional experience (RN to BSN). Those applying to the program may desire to advance to a clinical or administrative position, or be more competitive in the job market.
- Master’s. The Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) is usually a 2 year program after attaining the BSN. The MSN program provides specialization training, for example to become a nurse practitioner or concentrate on administration, management or teaching.
After a graduating student has obtained one of the above degrees, she or he must pass the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN) so as to become licensed. Further requirements for licensing can vary from state to state, so don’t forget to check with the Alabama board of nursing for any state requirements.
LVN and LPN Certificates and Degrees
There are basically two scholastic accreditations available that provide education to become either an LPN or an LVN. The one that may be finished in the shortest amount of time, generally about 12 months, is the certificate or diploma program. The next choice is to attain a Practical Nursing Associate Degree. These programs are broader in nature than the diploma option and normally require 2 years to complete. The advantage of Associate Degrees, along with providing a higher credential and more in-depth training, are that they furnish more transferable credit toward a Bachelor’s Degree in nursing. No matter the kind of credential you pursue, it needs to be Alabama approved and accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or any other national accrediting organization. The NLNAC warrants that the syllabus effectively prepares students to become Practical Nurses, and that most graduates pass the 50 state required NCLEX-PN licensing exam.
In contrast to other licensed nurses, certified nursing assistants do not have to attain a college degree. CNA training can be received at Alexander City AL area community colleges or at vocational or trade schools. The duration of the training program can take anywhere from just one to 3 months, resulting in either a certificate or a diploma. Within the 1987 Nursing Home Reform Act, students are mandated to have at least 75 hours of training, 16 of which must be clinical or “hands-on” training hours. Bear in mind that this is the minimum period of instruction required and that each state has its specific prerequisites. So it’s important to make certain that the program you enroll in not only meets the federal requirements, but also those for Alabama or the state where you will be practicing. One recommendation is to contact the health or nursing board for your state to make sure that the training course is state certified. As well as the training, each state requires a passing score on a competency test for certification. Depending on the state, there might be additional requirements as well.
Nursing Online Programs
Attending nursing schools online is growing into a more in demand way to obtain training and attain a nursing degree. Many schools will require attending on campus for a component of the training, and virtually all programs call for a specified amount of clinical rotation hours conducted in a local healthcare facility. But since the rest of the training may be accessed online, this option may be a more accommodating answer to finding the time to attend school for some Alexander City AL students. Concerning tuition, a number of online degree programs are less costly than other on campus options. Even other expenses such as for commuting and study materials can be minimized, helping to make education more economical. And many online programs are accredited by organizations like the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) for BSN and MSN degrees. Therefore if your work and family responsibilities have left you with little time to pursue your academic goals, perhaps an online nursing training program will make it more convenient to fit a degree into your busy schedule.
Things to Ask Nursing Programs
Now that you have selected which nursing degree to pursue, and if to attend your classes on campus near Alexander City AL or online, you can use the following checklist to start narrowing down your options. As you no doubt realize, there are many nursing schools and colleges throughout Alabama and the United States. So it is necessary to decrease the number of schools to select from in order that you will have a manageable list. As we already discussed, the site of the school as well as the expense of tuition are undoubtedly going to be the initial two things that you will take into consideration. But as we also emphasized, they should not be your sole qualifiers. So before making your ultimate selection, use the following questions to evaluate how your pick measures up to the field.
- Accreditation. It’s a good idea to make sure that the degree or certificate program as well as the school is accredited by a U.S. Department of Education acknowledged accrediting organization. Aside from helping confirm that you receive an excellent education, it may help in acquiring financial aid or student loans, which are oftentimes not available in Alexander City AL for non-accredited schools.
- Licensing Preparation. Licensing requirements for registered nurses vary from state to state. In all states, a passing score is needed on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN) as well as graduation from an accredited school. Some states require a specific number of clinical hours be performed, as well as the passing of additional tests. It’s essential that the school you are attending not only provides an outstanding education, but also readies you to comply with the minimum licensing standards for Alabama or the state where you will be practicing.
- Reputation. Look at internet rating services to see what the assessments are for each of the schools you are looking into. Ask the accrediting organizations for their reviews also. In addition, check with the Alabama school licensing authority to find out if there are any complaints or compliance issues. Finally, you can call some Alexander City AL healthcare organizations you’re interested in working for after graduation and ask what their assessments are of the schools as well.
- Graduation and Job Placement Rates. Find out from the RN colleges you are considering what their graduation rates are as well as how long on average it takes students to finish their programs. A low graduation rate may be an indication that students were dissatisfied with the program and dropped out. It’s also imperative that the schools have high job placement rates. A high rate will not only substantiate that the school has a superb reputation within the Alexander City AL medical community, but that it also has the network of relationships to assist students gain employment.
- Internship Programs. The best way to acquire experience as a registered nurse is to work in a clinical environment. Almost all nursing degree programs require a specific number of clinical hours be completed. A number of states have minimum clinical hour prerequisites for licensing too. Check if the schools have a working relationship with Alexander City AL hospitals, clinics or labs and assist with the placing of students in internships.
Enrolling in a Nursing School near Alexander City AL?
Perhaps you have already made your decision to attend a Nursing Program in the greater Alexander City Alabama area. If that is the case, then the following information may prove to be both educational and useful regarding the location of your future Alma Mater.
Alexander City, Alabama
Alexander City, known to locals as "Alex City", is a city in Tallapoosa County, Alabama, United States, with a population of some 14,875. It is known for Lake Martin with its 750 miles (1,210 km) of wooded shoreline and 44,000 acres (18,000 ha) of water. Lake Martin stands on the Tallapoosa River and offers boating, swimming, fishing, golfing, and camping. Many neighborhoods and luxury homes are located on the lake.
Alexander City was incorporated in 1872 as Youngsville, after its founder James Young. In 1873, the Savannah and Memphis Railroad came to the city. The city was renamed in honor of the railroad's President Edward Porter Alexander, hero of the Battle of Gettysburg for the Confederate States.
On June 13, 1902, at 1 pm, a fire broke out in the Alexander City Machine shop and destroyed much of the town. At the time, Alexander City did not have a water system and all buildings, including the telegraph office, post office and three banks were burned.
Select the Right Nursing School near Alexander City AL
Deciding on the right nursing college is arguably the most crucial phase to beginning a new career in the medical care industry. There are numerous factors that you should take into account when deciding on a nursing school. These aspects will be prioritized differently contingent on your current career goals, obligations, and economic status. As we have pointed out within this post, it is essential that you pick a nursing school and a degree program that are each accredited and have excellent reputations within the healthcare community. By using our checklist of qualifying questions, you will be able to develop a shortlist of schools to select from so that you can make your ultimate selection. And with the appropriate degree and training, combined with your hard work and drive to succeed, you can become a practicing nurse in Alexander City AL.
More Nursing School Locations in Alabama
Bing: Alabama nursing schools Search results
Nursing Schools In Texas For ASN, BSN, MSN, DNP
The nursing program acronyms CNA, LVN, ASN, BSN, MSN, DNP, PhD, etcetera used in our list of Texas nursing schools may differ from the actual title published by the college or university. Nursing schools in Texas and other states, for example, may follow their own traditional degree naming convention, or, attempt to follow a newer naming ...
Apply | Alabama Board of Nursing
Alabama law requires that you graduate from a practical nursing program to be eligible for an LPN license and graduate from a registered nursing program to be eligible for RN licensure. Individuals who took the PN exam after partial completion of an RN program and became licensed as an LPN or LVN in another state are not eligible to apply for ...
Alabama Board of Nursing
The mission of the Alabama Board of Nursing is to safeguard and promote the health, safety and welfare of the public through licensing and approval of qualified individuals and adopting and enforcing legal standards for nursing education and nursing practice. Executive Officer . Board Members . Laws . Alerts .
2021 - Best 41 Nursing Schools in Alabama - Rankings for ...
There are 41 nursing schools in Alabama. The CCNE accredits 11 nursing schools and the ACEN accredits 27 schools in Alabama. On average, attending an RN program in Alabama will cost you between $2,651.00 and $27,477.00 per year. In Alabama, the average undergraduate student borrows between $4,725.00 and $14,000.00 per year.
10 Best Nursing Schools in 2021 | Top Programs
The ultimate list of the top 10 best nursing schools of 2021. We included everything you need to know about tuition cost, NCLEX pass rates, online nursing programs, AACN and CCNE accredited programs, jobs, career outlook, salary and more.
School of Nursing | UAB
The UAB School of Nursing is seeking pre-accreditation of a Nurse Midwifery Specialty Concentration in our MSN program by the Accreditation Commission for Midwifery Education (ACME). As part of the pre‐accreditation review, we are inviting our School of Nursing constituents to provide comments on the School of Nursing’s qualifications and ...
Capstone College of Nursing – | The University of Alabama
In 2021, CCN’s Master of Science in Nursing was ranked #17 by the publication, the highest ranked online master’s in nursing program in Alabama. “We are fortunate at CCN to be surrounded by passionate colleagues who lead the charge in maintaining the College’s standing as a premier nursing institution,” said Dean Suzanne Prevost.
All Nursing Schools - Find the Nursing Education and ...
All Nursing Schools is committed to helping you advance your career and improve your life through education. It's our mission to empower you on your career path by being a trusted resource for information that will help you achieve your goal for a better future.
2021's Easiest Nursing Schools to Get Into & Admissions Advice
These issues often force nursing schools to downsize their programs. And makes it more competitive to get into a nursing school. Even with a 3.5 GPA. Easiest Schools with Nursing Programs. We compiled a list of 34 of the easiest schools with nursing programs to get into. It takes into account the most recent NCLEX pass rates and acceptance rates.
Alabama State University - Profile, Rankings and Data | US ...
Alabama State University is a public institution that was founded in 1867. It has a total undergraduate enrollment of 3,614 (fall 2020), its setting is urban, and the campus size is 172 acres. It ...